The bill will cover establishments such as shops, malls and cinema halls, which employs ten or more workers except manufacturing units and allow them to operate 365 days in a year.
The government has approved the Model Shops and Establishment (Regulation of Employment and Conditions of Service) Bill, 2016, which will now be sent to state government and union territories for adoption or modification. The bill will cover establishments such as shops, malls and cinema halls, which employs ten or more workers except manufacturing units and allow them to operate 365 days in a year and opening/closing time of establishment. However, it has set this guideline for employment. This would give substantial boost to employment generation and will also benefit the consumers in terms of more convenience and accessibility.
1. Women to be permitted during night shift, if the provision of shelter, rest room ladies toilet, adequate protection of their dignity and transportation etc. exists.
2. No discrimination against women in the matter of recruitment, training, transfer or promotions.
3. Powers of Government to make rules regarding adequate measures to be taken by the employer for the safety and health of workers.
4. To provide clean and safe drinking water to employees.
5. Lavatory, creche, first aid and canteen by group of establishments, in case, it is not possible due to constraint in space or otherwise by individual establishment.
6. Five paid festival holidays in addition to national holidays etc.
7. Twelve Days Casual Cum Sick Leave.
8. One Day Earned Leave For Every Twenty Days Of Work Performed (Can Be Accommodated Up To 45 Days)
9. Exemption of highly skilled workers (for example workers employed in IT, Biotechnology and R&D division) from daily working hours of 9 hours and weekly working hours of 48 hours subject to maximum 125 over-time hours in a quarter.
Value our content... contribute towards our growth. Even a small contribution a month would be of great help for us.
Since five years, we have been serving the industry through daily news and stories. Our content is free for all and we plan to keep it that way.
Support HRKatha. Pay Here (All it takes is a minute)